Sunday, October 29, 2006

Disapointment . . .


What a let down . . .

I am so disappointed in so much right now, mostly with myself.

As you all know today the clocks turned back an hour. I didn’t know this until last night when we had the informational session at the host hotel.

Then Amanda reminded me as well.

Last night I went over my gear, lubed my chain, re-checked my gear and got ready for bed.

I use a cell phone PDA called the 8125, by m cell phone carrier. I have had it for a short time. It is a good phone and it also keeps my calendar up to date and I can get my email and check the internet on this phone. It is great . . . Except for last night.

It was about 11:00 PM. I knew I had to reset the clock on the phone since I use it for my alarm. I did this, I set the alarm for 5:45 AM. This would give me time to shower, load my bike and drive 30 minutes to the race site. I don’t like standing around for 30 minutes or an hour before the race. I will not do that anymore!

I set the phone back an hour, set the alarm and watched a little TV, then went to sleep. For the first time I slept great before a race. I did wake up at about 2:30 and got sick a little, I think it was the pasta I had for dinner.

My alarm goes off. I instinctively reach over and tap it to shut it off. Get up stretch, shower, turn on the TV. I eat an energy bar.

I put on my watch. It says 7:03 AM. 7:03 AM!!!!!!!!!

I also moved my watch back an hour.

I grab my phone and there is a message on it that say it automatically reset my clock for me as a result of daylight savings.

My swim start was in 2 minutes. I was 30 minutes away and didn’t have my bike loaded.

I sat on the bed in disbelief. I am still in disbelief. I worked hard for this race and I am sitting in my hotel while it is beginning.

I am so sorry to all of you that supported me and gave me motivation for this event. I feel so horrible.

I was angry at first, but I only had me to be angry with. I should do like everyone in this sport and get there right when transition opens incase something goes wrong.

I am very sorry.

I am signed up for Gulf Coast. This is another half Ironman in Florida early next year. I will work hard for it and do well.

I have to forgive myself for this mistake and move on. While I feel bad and feel like I have let all of you down, I have to move ahead so I don’t fall behind.

I fly out tomorrow at 4:00 PM. I am going to ride the bike course tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a disappointment, guess it was just meant to be. Hang in there and train hard . . . next time you'll kick butt!