Monday, April 06, 2009

Ironman New Orleans 70.3

Ironman New Orleans - 7 hours 37 minutes of pure joy!  (and pain)

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans – 7 hours 37 minutes


In the last year I have posted very short reports from my races.  Maybe taking them for granted because they have become just a normal part of my life or maybe I forgot how much races mean to me?


But, this day will be different.


This is my recount of my first finish of a half ironman.

My day began early.  Our club put together a rock’n after party tent with computer access, pizza, drinks, 3 massage therapists, a full ice bath pool, and a big board that tracked all of our club racers throughout the day.  It was spectacular.


I met a great crew from our club at 3am to set everything up.  It was a fairly smooth process thanks to some great club members.


I went back to the hotel about 4:45am laid down till 5:15 with my eyes WIDE OPEN waiting for the alarm.  Got up showered and began the pre-race regiment I always follow.  Recheck transition bag for the 714th time, rub on some sun block, rub on a little bodygluide in the important areas, and put on the race uni.


We were out of the door by 5:40a to meet Janice and Luke down stairs.  When we arrived in the lobby some poor dude from Houston was stranded without a ride to the race site.  We squeezed him in and got him there.

As I was prepping my transition site I realized I was about to do a 70.3 and I took a moment and looked around.  Over 3,000 bikes in this transition.  It was amazing.  My friend Paul was racked right across from me and we had a good time talking and motivating one another for the race.  I didn’t tell many people this because if I couldn’t finish the race I didn’t want to have this as an excuse, but I have a hairline fracture in my right first metatarsal (the bone that runs along the inside of your foot that connects to your big toe).  I did this at the Opelousas Du in mid March.  It was slowly getting worse, but the 4 Aleve I took that morning and the bottle I had stuffed in my tri uniform was going to handle the pain.  Paul reminded me not to push to the point that I cause permanent damage, which I knew I wouldn’t. 


We hung around the sea wall watching the first 9 waves go by.  I saw one person not 800m into the swim – swim over to the sea wall climb out of the water, throw his goggles and have a mental breakdown.    This was NOT what I needed to see before I began my Half Iron Man journey.  Then there were more . . . None that had mental meltdowns as the first guy did, but swam to shore and were done . . .  Hmmmmm?


As my wave entered the water an hour and fifteen minutes after the first group started I was delighted at the water temp.  It was very brisk but nor real cold.  I like that since I tend to overheat in a wetsuit.

The first 500 to 600 meters I worked on finding my groove.  I was spotting well.  About every 12 strokes I would lift spot and go right back into another 12 strokes – 3 strokes breath left side, 3 strokes breath right side . . . Repeat!  After about 1,000 m I was in my groove and felt fairly comfortable.  I have been working on longer strides with my stroke and really reaching out front and I felt good about it in the water for this race.  As the turn came to the finish I cut the corner too close and cut my hand on some oyster shells at the bottom of the lake floor.  It didn’t hurt too bad, but my fear was more the infection opportunity since Lake Ponchatrain is not known for its cleanliness!  The whole time swimming I might get just a little bit of water in my mouth and would make sure and blow it out hard upon exhale!


I WAS PUMPED at swim exit!!!!


I ran down the chute of the exit hollering and slapping high 5’s with everyone!  I d not recommend this.  Save your energy!!!!  It was not smart.  When I got to transition I was a little winded, but I was pumped.  I exited the 1.2 mile swim in 42 minutes, about 3 minutes better than my goal.


At transition 1 I talked to Paul a little and headed out on the bike. 


The bike.  Hot and windy.  WINDY.  FREAKING WINDY!


On the bike, the first 3 miles are along the lake where we ride out to the right and come right back by transition and the spectators.  I felt great and was MOVING through here.  As we got out on the main road we began to hit a little cross wind about mile 4.  At mile 6-11 it was cross but a little at our back which was nice.  Then we made a sharp right and the wind was with us and it was GREAT!!!!




The racecourse was completely closed.  BIKE AND RUN.  This was one of the safest most organized courses I’ve EVER raced on and I was a little worried about that.  EVERY road had an officer at it blocking traffic.  PEM deserves a A+++ for their logistics in planning this race and supporting it with cops at EVERY road crossing.  THANK YOU Premier Event management.


Back to the bike:


We had tailwind for about 3 miles and it was a joy.  I was averaging about 23 mph up till this point, then we hit Chef blvd where we had more of that cross wind and I still managed to keep my average about 22.5 mph.  My goal was to not push real hard on the bike so I would be able to run the entire run course and not have to walk.  I felt really good doing my usual hellos to everyone as I passed and when I was passed I would give my “Go Get Em!” hollar out.  Then at mile 24 we turned around.  What in the world happened?????


It was as if I hit a wall.  The wind was head on and it was intense.  I was at about 19 mph for the next 8 miles with about 80% effort.  I was at about 60% up until this point.


Then we turned off Chef Blvd and headed back to the slight tail cross wind and I felt great again.  Then the party was over.  The last 20 miles was all headwind and it was brutal.  The sun was out in full force but the wind was too and I was struggling at about 80% effort to hold 17mph at most points.  The overpasses were the worst.  On the second pass coming in I dropped down to 12mph.  I had not front derailleur so I was in the big ring the whole day and that didn’t help out there today.  My friend Llew loaned me his bike to ride, which is the exact same bike as mine, but I rode the over passes on Thursday and I had no issues with the big ring and just felt more comfortable on my bike.  Bad Idea.


I went through a lot of water and gel on the bike and threw up once.


As I came into transition I landed my second successful flying dismount.  Now, this was not necessary since I knew I would be in transition 2 for a while catching my breath, but it just feels so damn cool!!!!!!!


I ran through transition barefoot and my right foot was throbbing and I realized I didn’t take any Aleve out on the bike.  I popped 2 in transition along with some Enduraliytes (s/p) and headed out on the run.  My bike average was 19.7mph.


My foot was struggling, but I was still feeling pretty good mentally and pushed the pain to the back of my mind.


Run course was great.  HOT but, great.  The wind on the first 4 miles rocked; funny how I hated it on the bike and LOVED it on the run.  The sun was out in FULL force!  The forecasts called for isolated thunderstorms throughout the day – NOT!


I saw so many club members out there.  I slapped hands with all of them and cheered them on.  I also cheered on everyone who passed me – until I couldn’t anymore!!!  Don’t worry, I’ll get to that later!


My goal was – run the entire course.  No walking except water stations.  I was feeling great the first 6 miles.  I stopped and took off my socks and donated them to a very nice group of people who were cheering on a family member.


The sun became too much for me and I was POURING sweat out of my body faster than I could get fluids back in.  I had taken another 2 Aleve at about mile 6 but their effect was not working anymore.


At mile 7 I was mentally destroyed.


I had already died a little inside twice to this point and at mile 7 I had a moment.  I decided to quit.  I was at a water station and I leaned on the table and decided to quit.  I was in so much pain and not just my foot, my body was in so much pain and my mind was wavering.


Somehow my legs just started going.  I cursed at myself a little and got pissed off and this took me the next 2 miles and then I hit the mutha of all walls.


I assume I was favoring my right leg because of my foot because my left leg decided it had enough and the hamstring and calve muscle decided to begin a rotating cramp system.  Nice . . . I would get the hammy un-cramped and then the calve would lock up and this repeated itself for the next mile until I had to just walk and be happy I was doing that.


I was miserable the last 3 miles but, I was thankful it was only three miles.  If it had been 3.4 miles, I may have quit, but I KNEW I could survive the leg problem for three miles.


As I entered the edge of the quarter I began to trot.  I could go about 20 feet and BOOM the left leg would lock up. 


When I hit Decatur I was NOT going to walk.  I know I looked like a real piece of work since my left leg was literally straight as a board and I was kinda dragging it along in some sort of hunch back from notre dame spin off, but I was NOT going to walk into the finish.


That last ¼ mile was agony and pure bliss all folded into one.  There were SO MANY EPOPLE at the finish and in the last ¼ mile!  I had to stop a couple times and rub out my calve but as I got closer I said screw it and pushed into the finish.



I was so happy. 

I saw my wife and then I saw my buds Brian, Neal, and Sean waiting at the finish.  I was so freaking happy.  I am not sure what I was saying to them and I am sure it was stupid and incoherent but, I was on cloud 9 (if cloud 9 means so happy the fact that your right foot and left leg are about to explode and I didn’t even know it!)


I made my way back to the club finish party tents and went directly to the ice bath and it felt SO SO SO SO GOOD!!!!!!  I stayed in there for 20 minutes, then had an awesome massage.


I got to see my friend Elizabeth who is amazing.  She finished her first half IM.  She is battling the weight issue and kicking ass at it.  

After a long day we cleaned up and loaded all the finish party stuff and I went to pick up my transition stuff and bike. 


I found out the my buddy Sean Schnur and Brian Lejune and Debbie Ellington qualified for Clearwater.  Geaux BRtri!!!!!!


I am sure my friend John Fell did too, I haven’t checked yet.


Today was a nice wake up call to my first IM in November.  I have a lot of work to do, but I am committed and I will do what it takes to cross that finish line at Ironman Florida.


Thank you to everyone who has supported me in this fight.  Thanks to all of my friends who came out to cheer.  Thanks to my Momma who spent the whole day out there waiting for me and a SPECIAL thanks to my wife and father in law for everything they do to support me and the club, I love you guys.


I finished in 7:37.  My goal was sub 7.  Oh well – I finished.


My goal for IM Florida – sub 15 hours.  I have a lot of work to do!!!!!!!!!!!


Missy said...

Sounds like a perfect race to LEARN on - the pain, the salt, the sweat, the puke, the fight with the body over mind and heart. It IS a huge success and don't think twice about it. Staying calm and conserving energy is a huge lesson too. You'll rock in FLA, I have no doubt.

Missy said...

P.S. Congratulations and get another massage!

Janice {Run Far} said...

WOW... congrats. Someday I hope to get the guts to try even a sprint.

Brady Hendrix said...

dude, congrats. Wish I could have been there to race and to cheer you on. Get some. Rah.

amybee said...

CONGRATS! I bet you are just thrilled with having conquered wind and heat along with the agony of DE-FEET. (you had to know I'd go there...)

But you are not De-feeted!

Be proud of your self!

becky shelton said...

good job boggs! u have come so far and i wish u lived in ky so i had someone like you to be my motivator! u rock and keep it up!!!! hugs from KY!!!!!! becky

Shannon said...

Congrats Chris!! I was tracking you yesterday and was so happy to read through this entry! Great job and way to pull through all that pain and finish!

Caroline Smith said...

congrats chris! I am sooo proud of you. i am sorry i missed you this weekend - we were just on opposite ends of the race! -c

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Your mental attitude is FANTASTIC !!
You already have the mental toughness not to quit, that is HUGE going into future events.
I have found that Infinit works fairly well in not giving any stomach problems, which I had with Hammer stuff last year at IMAZ. You might give it a whirl.
I am looking forward to racing with you in November.

TRI-james said...

That wind on the bike ate my lunch - good race!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job!!

That's a crazy good bike spilt!!

And you barfed!?!?

Nice to meet you out there!!

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I assume nice post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I dream the post should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Good evening

We do not agree with this year BRITs 2010 decision.

Please come to see our little web survey

Lady Gaga can not be better than Madonna

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=]brustverkleinerung[/url] - tickets left standing!! This Competition is now closed