Before I begin my goals and expectations for 2009, I would like to review 2008. What a year.
I am going to break this down into categories, as I will for 2009 goals:
1. Personal: I would say the biggest news form 2008 would be the fact that I am going to be a daddy. Are you kidding me!!!??? We found out in November that we will be having a baby in July 2009.
I have become closer to a couple new friends here in Baton Rouge. I am working on building a better relationship with Amanda’s good friend Mary. Ryan is a wonderful person. They have a beautiful baby boy, David who recently turned one. Ryan is also a great source for me when it comes to my relationship with God.
Amanda and I celebrated five years of marriage and we still kinda like one another?? I never would have thunk it, but we genuinely like to be around one another and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. She is one heck of a woman to put up with me!!!
2. Health: This is obviously the area of most change. Let’s backtrack to 2005 when I hit my highest weight at 452 lbs. Almost half a ton! I began 2008 weighing 340ish lbs. I continued to lose weight throughout the year, but when August came and I was still at about 270 lbs. I knew I had to kick it up a bit.
I had surgery planned for December and I needed to be below 240 lbs by September. When September arrived I was at a stealthy 238 lbs.
Then December came and I had my surgery. I had an upper body lift procedure that lasted more than eight hours. I am still in recovery now and I hope to be walking around the neighborhood next week.
I now weigh in at 231 pounds. 452 lbs and now 231. Wow.
3. Business: This was the area where I faced the most challenge for 2008. As most of you know I am a Financial Planner. And as EVERYONE knows, we are facing rough economic waters and this will continue into the 1st and 2nd quarter of 2009, in my opinion. I have worked diligently to comfort and inform my clients during this difficult period, but I always question whether I can do better. I hope and pray I am doing enough. On a positive note, my office was recognized for being in the top 2% of production Nationwide. I am in the largest Independent Broker/Dealer in America, so I am a little proud of that accomplishment. I could not do it without my wonderful team. They are the true backbone of our success; I am just the pretty face!
4. Spirituality: God is good. Before I get into this . . . I respect all people’s spirituality or their choice not to have any, its all good.
Were it not for my strength with God, I am not sure I would have been as strong as I was with the many challenges we faced in 2008. With God, I was able to meet those challenges head on with confidence that I was always doing the right thing with the best of intentions and I think God and my family for that support.
However, I feel I have not given this area the attention that it deserves. I am having a difficult time finding a church where I am comfortable learning and worshiping. I didn’t actively pursue a church in 2008, but that will change in 2009.
5. Racing: Here is where I had the most fun in 2008. I raced in 23 events, mostly triathlons, but also a couple run events and a cycling time trial at the end of the year.
I am most excited about my progress on the bike. I can FLY now! I am still working hard on the run, but I have also seen major improvement there as well. I have cut most of my race finish times in half. I am interested to see how much I can improve with the new body. TBC in 2009!
2008 was truly a challenging year. I am thankful that I didn’t fall back into my bad eating habits with the stress of the economy. I think I have learned the right way and it is now a part of me. I am looking forward to 2009 with great expectations. I am still a in a little shock that I am going to be a daddy. I pray I will be the daddy this baby needs.
I hope everyone has a GREAT New Years Eve! I also hope your 2009 is the best year yet.
I will be adding my 2009 goals sometime this week. It is going to be lofty to say the least.